Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thing #51 - Take 5 Singing Lessons

I’ll certainly be continuing past the 5 lessons, but I needed something specific on my list. I feel like singing is such a large part of me, but that I’ve been neglecting it for far too long. So long, in fact, that one of my best friends has no idea, as we met after high school. I mean, I’m usually quite goofy around her, so telling her that I’m taking singing lessons is going to feel really… awkward. Whatever, once it’s out there, it’s out there.

On Friday, May 13, I had my second singing lesson with my friend, Sue McAllister-Bee*. Sue teaches a specific method of singing, known as Speech Level Singing, which has a wide following, including the likes of Michael Jackson and both Enrique and Julio Iglesias.

I had actually had a lesson the previous Sunday, and it hadn’t gone very well. When I was in high school, I was trained using the old classical method, and I still had some deeply ingrained behaviours left over from that. Several times in the lesson, she asked if I was sure I wanted to continue with speech level singing, and was I sure that she was the right teacher for me? I started to kind of feel like she didn’t want to teach me. Now, the great thing about Sue is that she records the lesson, and then burns a CD for you, so you can practice using your previous lesson. When I listened to the lesson throughout the week, I heard myself protesting and full of doubt. No wonder she felt that way! So, on Friday, I went in with a more positive attitude and I came out feeling great. While I was practicing during the week and wondering if I was going to continue, she had played my lesson for a colleague to get another perspective. Her colleague and her talked about different exercises to help me out (it’s a little technical, but basically, I waste a lot of breath), and I’m really excited about where this could go. At the end of Friday, I had paid her for 5 lessons in total, which will take care of my list.

I'm really excited about this one, and I think I'll be really proud with the end result.



*For those interested, Sue has a website at http://www.beemusicstudios.com/ where she frequently updates her blog, and you can read more about the services she offers.


No comments:

Post a Comment